Tuesday, July 9, 2013

It's All in the Shampoo


When I was younger I experienced some tragedies in my life. You know: bad grades, spankings, standing in the corner and eating squash? While those experiences were tragic; they helped mold me into the refined young lady I am today. But (there is always a but), no tragic experience was more excruciating than (drum roll please) getting my hair shampooed.
Take your time when shampooing!

Oh my goodness it's a wash. I hated every moment of it. Whenever I reflect back on those days I shake my head and I think of my mother; poor thing. I use to think of her being that character in Moby Dick when the octopus would come out the water and attack. That is how it was for my mother. My hair would swell into this monstrosity of Afro, naps and kinks. My hair would attack my mom and her Afro comb while simultaneously snatching at my brain. I am telling you, it was horrific!

My poor lil mommy. What was she to do? She would threaten to cut it all off and she would curse my father's side of the family with every stroke of the comb grunting through her seething teeth. She would pause between every word as she combed, "You. Have. Thick. Nappy. Hair. Just. Like. Your. Father!" I remember thinking, "Well why didn't you pick another man?"

While the above mentioned story is interestingly funny; the selection of hair care products available back then was even more funny. Back in those days there were only a handful of products available for Afro hair and none of them did any of what was written on the bottles. Fast forward to today and the selection is too many to name and so overwhelming to choose from.

To make shampooing hair at home less tragic and with less hassle at home, I have four simple steps to selecting the right shampoo and the correct comb. I have 3 tricks to minimize the tangle.

The first step to hassle free shampooing is to identify your the texture of your hair. Hair textures come in 4 types. Curly, Kinky, Wavy and Straight. Some people can a combination of textures. The second step is to match the shampoo to the texture. For example, if you have wavy hair; your shampoo should read "wavy" hair on the bottle. The third step, I suggest the shampoo should also read to the condition of  your hair. For example, color treated, damaged, dry and the likes. The fourth is tricky. Do not purchase your shampoo according to your race. For example, words like "natural," "African-American," "mixed," "women of color," and the likes. Those words have a very large meaning and is generic for those who are looking for a shampoo that is formulated for their unique hair fabric.

Your styling tools should consist of a comb out comb or a long tooth comb out comb. Refrain from using smaller combs, flimsy combs or combs that break easily. Those types of combs promote breakage.

Three tricks for tangle free hair begins with a detangling conditioner (these conditioners are soley responsible for making the hair softer; thus giving it more slip). Next, be sure the hair is very wet. Wet hair combined with the detangling conditioner will give the hair more slip. Last, be sure the water is warm. Warm water makes the hair sofer; while cold water causes the hair to constrict and tangle more.

Shampooing is the foundation to hair being tangle free, bouncy and shiny. Take your time. Concentrate on massaging the scalp thoroughly; for it circulates bloods which provide nourishment and promote growth. Lastly shampoo your hair as needed. For some it's weekly and others it can be every few days.

If you take your time and use these tips; I am certain shampooing will be easier, less hassle and you too will conclude that, it's all in the shampoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment