Monday, February 3, 2014

Growing Dandruff

My career as a cosmetologist is full of funny stories, old wives tales, myths and a few down right dirty lies. Every time I think I have heard them all; woops, here comes another one. Of the many interesting things I have heard in the name of growing hair, it is the "growing dandruff" myth and questions I get that makes me say, "Really!"


Gone and brush your shoulders off!
So to answer the question, to debunk the myth and to expose the lie about growing dandruff, here I go. Is there really a such thing as growing dandruff? 
 Before I finish typing this blog, I have to make it abundantly clear that I am no dermatologist. I also have to make abundantly clear that no where in the United States of America is a licensed cosmetologist qualified to diagnose or cure dandruff by any means. This information in this blog is from research.

Now, back to this growing dandruff stuff. In as much that dandruff is actually a species, micro-organism or fungus that actually lives on the scalps of most healthy adults without causing any problems, it can no by no stretch of any scientific imagination grow hair. According to the folks over at the MayoClinic, there are two popular school of thoughts as it relates to dandruff. First, dandruff is not about hair and how often you wash it. Second, dandruff is not a contagious fungus that humans can pass to each other because almost every human being already has the actual malassezia fungus living on their skin; not growing hair. There are three factors that promote dandruff: dry weather, external factors like shampoos, conditioners and scalp pomades along with scalp diseases/disorders such as psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis and the likes. They are all culprits to the scalp's skin cells that grow and die off too fast causing those flakes we do not like to see. For others, that scaling and flaking is the immune system's natural response by overreacting to the fungus (malassezia) that is naturally on the scalp. Based off the above information; dandruff, fibrin (dead skin cells) or flakes are sloughing off; and again, not growing hair. Furthermore, hormones are responsible for hair growth.

So while there are many myths out there surrounding the "growing dandruff" phenomena; scientists and dermatologists are still doing the research to learn more about it. In the mean time, do not play doctor with your scalp. Do not allow your hair stylist to play doctor on your scalp either. Dandruff is a medical terminology. It is best diagnosed and treated by a dermatologist or wholistic practitioner. Whenever a customer tells me they have dandruff, the first question I ask, "Who told you that you have dandruff? Your mother, grandmother or doctor?" Beware of using hair care products formulated to alleviate the symptoms of dandruff and you have not been diagnosed properly. Doing so may result in unwanted itchy scalp, dry hair and flakes all over your clothes, asking "Got some dirt on my shoulders, could you brush it off for me?"


You have just read a blog by the greatest!

9 comments:

  1. Hi
    Thanks a lot for sharing this fabulous blog with us..Now a days, steel buildings are in great demands..They are easy to relocate in short interval of time..They saves your money as well as time also.. hoboken hair salons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog and information provided. Best Beauty Salon do not cheat with there customer in any cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice answers in replace of the question with real point of view and explaining about that.easy prom hairstyles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is quality based blogs along with other stuff.how to blend extensions with short hair

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good research, well done. It answered my question about growing dandruff. I won't say it again. Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful article, thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here.
    stopdandruff.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    Thanks a lot for sharing this fabulous blog with us..Now a days, steel buildings are in great demands..They are easy to relocate in short interval of time..They saves your money as well as time also.. Hair Salon NYC

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had dandruff my whole life and im a black male and now my hair is to my back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually went to a doctor as a child who told my mom I had growing dandruff. While I am not completely sure what it was supposwd to mean I am completely sure thats what tbey called it. My dandruff was then and still is pretty bad. I will be going back soon ans suspect they will call it psoriasis

    ReplyDelete