Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Co-Wash or Hog Wash

As a some time follower of trends and fads; I have had my share of things I wanted to try. Remember shoulder pads? I would go to the Limited clothing store to buy them by the dozens. I wore the earring with the key on it. Today my lil earlobes are paying a price for them. I also wore Swatch watches. I will admit, there was a time when I wore 3 of them complete with the overall strap hanging off my shoulder. Of the all the fads and trends I tried, Co-Washing is one I have not and will not.
Would you wash up with lotion?
According to Carly Cardellino, a Blogger for Cosmopolitan Magazine, Co-Washing simply means cleansing your hair with your favorite conditioner versus your shampoo. She also reports that this “gentler way” of cleansing makes hair softer, reduces drying and protects hair color from fading.

I say, “Hog wash with a capital H!” I first heard of this phenomena a few years ago in the salon. I did not think much of it. Why? Well, I am no scientist, chemist or dermatologist; but the first question that came to mind is, “Would you wash up with lotion?” As a licensed professional who shampoos hair for a living, I can not reiterate the importance and relevance of proper scalp cleansing. I can also assure you that no maker of any conditioner would promote or advise any of their valued loyal customers to shampoo hair with one of their conditioners. Never.

It is true that sulfates have been the main source of removing dirt and debris from the hair and scalp for years. Sulfates are surfactants that attract dirt, oil and they are also what makes soaps suds thus resulting in squeaky clean hair. There are many experts who report that sulfates causes cancer. The verdict is still out on that one. However, sulfates can cause allergic reactions such as dry skin, itchy skin, skin rashes and the likes. Understand that allergic reactions to many things are not uncommon. Every hair care product instructs users to discontinue use when any form of skin allergy or eye contact with their product is the result; sulfates or not.

The scalp is a part of your skin. Skin is the largest organ of the body, contrary to popular belief. Skin is also part of the excretory system which means; it excretes waste from the body via skin. Many think of sweat as the only way. Well, the scalp release yeast, fibrin, medicines, drugs, alcohol and sweat. For some; pimples (which can be scratched) can also show up on the scalp. Keep in mind the hair and scalp typically has dirt and debris from the environment, micro organisms as well as hair care products. Also, I must add there is another element of debris on the hair and scalp if you smoke or live with someone who smokes. Keep all these contributing factors in mind; now ask yourself, “Is this conditioner really removing all this off my hair and scalp?” Of course not.

If you desire to have softer and manageable hair that will also protect your chemically treated (hair color and relaxed) hair, there are 3 great options to achieving this. The first option is to use a sulfate-free shampoo (some lather and some do not). The second option is to invest in a better quality shampoo. The third and final option is to use a detangling conditioner after you shampoo, detangle your hair and follow up with your favorite conditioner.

In my professional opinion Co-Washing is very dangerous to the scalp and skin. When the scalp and hair is not cleansed properly with the right products; the immediate effects are tender sore scalps, very scaly scalps, excessive shedding, dull hair, limp hair, acne around hairline, acne on the back and acne wherever the hair touches and over processed heavily coated hair.

Conditioners are typically made of synthetic or organic softeners. The pH on many are low enough to make the hair soft. When conditioners are mis-used as they are in the case of Co-Washing, over a period of time, hair becomes overprocessed. Many conditioners do not contain the proper proteins to re-fortify, strengthen and rejuvenate hair til the next wash. Instead, they coat, seal the cuticle, increase shine, soften and make hair more manageable. Though many conditioners contain sulfates, there are not enough in them to effectively clean hair and scalp. 

So, when someone asks you about Co-Washing simply ask, “Would you wash up with lotion?”

4 comments:

  1. Nice blog, thanks for providing us professional lines of Haircare Products and Hair Styling tools. Very well said, these tips are really amazing. I am really inspired from your blog hoping you will be there with more interesting post like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to my hair salon in Long Island and asked about the Co-wash and they said the same exact thing! Amazing, I loved reading your article, great read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really interesting. I am going to forever look at hair salons in St. Louis, MO in a slightly different light from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post! Good things I go to an awesome hair salon in Corona NY!

    ReplyDelete