Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Natural Hair Scare

The Natural Hair Scare
Mean Mug Shot
My career in cosmetology is full of things that I would have never imagined. This career is full of things that never even came up in cosmetology school. Understand schooling for anything can not possible expose its students to every scenario, but one typically gets the just of what they are in store for as they proceed further into their education. Well in cosmetology, I found myself, very often, saying things like "Really," "Ooooh kay," "Do tell," and my favorite that I stole from Spanky of The Lil' Rascals, "You don't say!" Those sayings were indicators that I did not have enough of a spectrum of what I signed up for to get the "just" of what I was getting into.

There are many things that amaze me as a cosmetologist, that school simply did not cover; nor did it even "quite" capture. For instance, no amount of education could have prepared me that I as a salon owner would have to speak to employees about combing their own hair. To me that is like the owner of a dental practice telling his staff to brush their teeth. I am sure it happens, but; really?" Or a chef who will not invest in fine cook and flat ware, "Ooooh kay!" Or a messenger who is chronically late, "Do tell," I say. And I love the retired sports person who always brags about how they use to be this and how they use to be that,"You don't say!" But the kicker for me in the beauty industry is how an entire industry has somehow established itself as a profession with the use of one kind of hair; straight. SMH

Prior to entering cosmetology school, I anticipated the day I could learn how to cut an Afro. People have a lot of assumptions about people of color. And one of the biggest assumption is that we all have the same kind of hair and we all know how to the same things to it. You know; cut an Afro and braid cornrows? You don't say. I was flabergasted when I was given the option to purchase a Black or White mannequin head with straight hair. I was like, "Yo' where are the textured hair mannequins, textured hair samples or textured something." My cosmetology instructor responded, "Well most people will want straight hair." I asked, "Well what about people with Afros and textured hair?" She did not respond, she just gave me a blank stare in which I interpreted as, "Get yo' black  ass in that class." So, I did just that.

Throughout my education, I seriously anticipated learning about the varying degrees of textured hair. It never happened. All I got was some hogwash about how challenging it will be to work with textured hair and that I would get my practice in upon working in a hair salon. "You don't say." I am going to be able to become licensed with no true working knowledge of how to properly work with textured hair except for the lessons my mom and Big Momma gave me? So some time in April of 2000, I received an Ohio State managing cosmetology license. One with no official texture hair training, instruction, education, formal introduction or any of that fancy stuff you get when you pay for education.

One thing's for certain and two things for sure; while the state granted me the license, the public at large would be in for a rude awakening. The average person is under the assumption that receiving an education in cosmetology would include learning or getting exposure to the various textures and the concept of how to care for and style those varying textures. Nope, no sir-ree. Textured hair in the world of cosmetology has somehow escaped the rigors of expertness, study and practicum. It is not woven in any principles in the fundamentals of hair care. Textured hair receives mention (with all do respect; they do not want to offend the people of color).

How in the dickens can Milady (the writers of the book of cosmetology who is running a monopoly on the education of cosmetology nationwide) write a book, sell a curriculum, offer advanced training in everything cosmetology and deliberately overlooks textured hair, any and all facets of how to care for and style it? I am certain they must be aware of how that blatant oversight scares the masses and leaves open a virus of ignorance, greed, self serving and manipulative people to take with it and do what they damn well please.

The natural hair scare is running rapid nation wide and internationally. People are proclaiming themselves as "natural hair experts" by the very nature of having it on their head fully equipped with anywhere from 300 to 1800 hours of education from a beauty school and a license from some state in any state USA. Hell, some people do not even have that.  How is that able to happen? I mean in any other line of work that would be called, "Impersonating." A gynecologist of obstetrics does not become one because they received a bachelor of medicine of some sorts. They had to go through the rigors. The mere suggestion of putting someone through the rigors of become a cosmetologist or a natural hair braider beyond the 300 and up to 1800 hours is like suggesting someone goes to jail.

If the powers that be are really serious about this industry; they would stop this segregated nonsense called "natural hair." If the hair is on your head; it is natural. You do not even have to be a cosmetologist to figure that one out. Really, have you ever heard of a doctor who went to medical school and learned to only work on "White" people with medical conditions? Just because a person feels that their predisposition to certain styling techniques that are stereotypically associated with a race of people does not automatically make them more prepared than a person of another race who works with hair with NO texture.

The varying states that issue a "Natural Hair Styling" license need to incorporate everything in the education of hair styling and hair care that the public at large is interested in receiving from a licensed professional; regardless race and hair texture. I get the feel that the powers that be on the state board level was caught off guard and allowed these people to let them get away with the minimum to get the maximum (a license.) The decision to allow these people to become licensed only in "natural hair styling" has segregated the industry. It has scared off people of other races who want to learn and do textured hair. Customers are afraid of their own natural hair and some people of other races are afraid textured hair. That type of fear is unwarranted. There is no need to fear textured hair on your head or textured hair that one may be interested in doing professionally. I have not seen a white person locking, braiding, sister locking, tree braiding, extension adding to braid or twist hair and so on. I know their must be some, but I have not seen one. In any other profession, that type of strong arm tactic would never be allowed. No one can escape law school because they were of a certain race that was predisposed to a life of criminal activity and felt they could represent criminals more effectively than a person who went to law school and learned to defend a criminal from a "book" and internship.

Prostitution was such a taboo. People feared it in every way imaginable; yet prostitution is the oldest profession in the nation. Hair styling is the second. If legalization can work in prostitution (and all the special tricks that come with the profession for those who practice it of any race); imagine what it can do for hair (and all the tricks and textures that come with it)!
 
No fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment