Sunday, April 2, 2017

Hair Care

What does hair care mean to you?
Prior to becoming a hair stylist, I was a social worker. I enjoyed teaching parenting classes and getting teen parents to return to school. It was a job I loved to do. To be honest, I was very successful. I completed many reports to funders that demonstrated how mothers reunited with their children and how teens returned to school. Many may think that referrals and linkages were the keys to my success. After all, that's what families in crisis need, right? That is true. But I kind of liken my success as a social worker to that famous "Ginsu" commercial from the 70's, "But wait, there's more!"

Yes, not only was there more. There was another way. Referring families to the appropriate community resources was essential. But then so was, connecting the families to resources that provided bus passes, pampers and milk which afforded them help to aid in their decision to return to school. Yes, referring and connecting was pretty much my focus as I headed off to my drive to work. However, whenever I arrived at my families homes, something more than referrals and linkages were always happening. No, there were no fights. I rarely experienced a "no-show" on my home visits. My parenting classes were always full to capacity. So what was it you ask? Why were the families I served so consistent and determined to modify their parenting and return to school?

The answer is easy, hair. Yes, I must have told this story a thousand times. So writing it in a blog surely won't hurt. Right? Yes, I have a funny sense of humor. Humor is very important when working with people. So, humor is what I used to incorporate hair care into my scope of social work. It appeared that upon my every arrival, my hair was the key to getting my big toe inside the door. They loved my hair. Regardless the race, income, age and hair texture; my hair always became the main topic of discussion. Having no knowledge of hair styling, I humored them by creating analogies to hair care and self-esteem (or whatever the issue was that I was there to modify). Modifying their behaviors took more than a pep talk. My goal was to change their action of sitting in the house complaining, to them physically doing something that mattered to them. I wanted them to experience the magic of their actions. 

Before I knew it, those hair care analogies were being shared more than candy. It seemed whenever I arrived to a home or to one of my parenting groups, the word was already out that the "hair lady" had some good news to share about how to do your own hair. When I look at my career as a cosmetologist, I see that like Brian McKnight; I am, "back at one." 

Yes, with the natural hair movement sweeping the beauty industry like a push broom, people continue to want to know what is going on with their hair. Now that social media has quickly moved from photos to "live" feeds; oh, it's on and poppin'! Consumers are quickly realizing that pictures are not worth a thousand words nowadays. No. Pictures are worth a thousand filters, fancy phone camera lights and selfie angles that make my size 16 look like an 8. Ok, well maybe not an 8, but you get where I am going with this? The case of the fake people is rearing its ugly head. Once again, certain hair stylists are finding themselves lost in yet another trend. At first, it was finger waves. Then it was the Afro. Then it was cornrows. Then it was those Farrah Fawcett layers. Then it was the relaxer. Then it was curly perms. Then it was relaxers are bad. Now it's,  "going natural" (which by the way, I still have not figured that one out. Seeming as any hair that grows from the scalp is natural. But nobody asked me-sips tea).  The next trend certain licensed hair stylist found themselves lost in was, "The Big Chop." Then it was "protective styles." The latest appears to be these "twist out" hair styles. 
The disappointment is real.


In the famous words of the little boy who's video went viral as he attempted to explain to his mom, "Listen, Linda, listen!" Listen up people, understand that hair care and hair styling are entirely two different things. A hair style can never be hair care. And hair care can never be a hair style. Why? Well because they are not trends that you follow. They are not videos and tutorials. No, they are verbs that you do. You really have re-do them both daily. Neither last like batteries or trends. For some reason, many sincerely feel and believe that a paid for hair style or hair care products translate into lasting. 

The time has come to end this madness for once and all. Hair styles have their place in the world. Hairstyles belong in places such as photo shoots, picture day, TV sets and special occasions (i.e. holiday hair, weddings, family photos and so on). They don't last. Hair care products are supposed to be used up. You don't wait to use your products for Easter or a special occasion. Once the hair is styled, it is officially being "lived in." So, the wanting your hair style to last situation has to be put to an end. For the most part on most humans; hairstyles honestly do not last long. The attempt to preserve it is a gallant one. But trying to make a hairstyle last hours (for some) or days after it is has been "lived in" is about as effective as trying to preserve a souffle' that has been poked. Dude, it ain't happenin'. And for those whose hair can last, a big shout out to you and your one in a million hair. For many people, hair styles don't last because hair moves. Hair care products should not be in your cabinets for years. No, they should be used. If you are not using them, discard them. Do not share and pass them off to your children or friends. Many people say to me, "Why am I just now hearing this?" Well, I'm certain it has been said. What it has not been, is PROMOTED. There are not enough licensed cosmetologists standing up to help the consumers face the reality of hair care on real people in real life. 

So, I'm going to do my own "gallant effort" to help the masses with the "how to" of hair care that will result in a great hair style for a few hours if that long.
Shameless plug!

Yes, it is official. I have decided to come out of the closet about my dream. My dream is to be a writer. So, I write. I aim to write to tap into the feelings of what it takes for my readers who want to know and learn more about themselves. I aim to connect with the readers who are willing to be responsible and actually do it. In addition to writing, I am going to teach "how to" care for your hair the right way.  

How does one care for their hair the right way? By using "The Wright Hair Products."... I couldn't resist! They also have to learn how to care for their hair by using the "Wright" hair styling techniques. Doing hair properly requires doing the right thing. I will introduce to the world how I am going to do it. I will be live and direct, Saturday, April 8th at the Reverence Design Team Hair Salon. I will go live on all the social media platforms. Because I am not the only hair stylists in the world who feels this way, I have united with hairstylists from around the world starting with Arizona, Atlanta, Cleveland, Gambia (yep, Gambia the one in Africa), Kentucky and North Carolina. 

In my opinion, the mood in hair care and hair styling is going nowhere fast. It has an undertone of cyber bullying, it's light weight sexist, it's stereotypical, at times racist and fascist. It alienates and leaves many women running to the chairs of hair stylists worldwide with their smartphones and tablets showing us picture after picture; video after video all but saying, "I wanna sit with them." I honestly do not liker that. Because you can't. They won't let you. You don't have their hair, their phone, their filters or their apps...lol I understand your angst and hopes, though. 

I never was a fan of the mean girls, the clique, the echelon, the it-girls, the pretty little liars, the haves and the have-nots and the "you're not a factor bitch-boo-bye," thing-a-ma-jiggy. Nah, I liken myself to the part of change that has taken place in the world of hair care and beauty that promotes cleanliness is next to godliness. The, "be your own kind of beauty" message. After all, change is here. Change, done came, saw and conquered. Change is the new chic. Change is the new "to do." It is the big kahuna and kapow. Change is the little engine that could. It is the BMOC (Big Man On Campus)! And since it is on the minds of millions influencing them to do something about themselves. I have decided to drop the hairstylist, cosmetologist title and be my own kind of beautiful in this hair care, hair styling industry and be a "Change Agent." 

Hair care is about adapting to the changes that it goes through every single day of your life naturally. It will never matter the texture, the length, they type or the race. Because change is inevitable when it comes to hair. Change in hair needs to promoted so you will be prepared to accept and embrace it.  And who's better to help you with the changes your hair goes through than a, Change Agent?

Welcome, my dear readers, welcome.




6 comments:

  1. Wow you are a walking testimony such a beautiful story...I used to want to be a social worker.... You are a force to be reckoned with... the keep pushing forward

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish I would have met or com across you or your blog before my hair took a turn for the worst.... But luckily the process has begun... Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you all for your time and interest in my blog!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this articlejogos friv gratis 2019
    Jogos 2019
    jogos friv
    abcya com kid

    ReplyDelete