Sunday, May 11, 2014

Let's Get Physical

Being a professional cosmetologist has its pros and cons like any other career. Like most careers, the more you do something, receive training and get more training; the better you become at it. But, as good as I think I am, there is this one thing in my career that gets my goat every time. That one thing is the great debate about a hairstyle (image) versus exercise. 

Are you a chump or a champion?
As a professional who makes an honest living off of looking cute, presentable to the public and having a great hair day every day, I will make this Blog Ndogo even more short and sweet. First things first. There is no versus. The hair style will loose the debate every time because looking good is something that always starts from the inside.

There are many of days that I stand behind the salon chair and I get countless inquiries about this debate. Now, I don't know if you can tell, but-ter-rumm; I'm no fitness instructor! Nonetheless, I can not think of one fitness instructor who would support any able bodied person compromising their health over their hair. I know, I know; ya gotta get up early to get the kids ready, get ready for work, walk the dog, feed the husband (lol) and so on and so forth. I can see you now reading this blog thinking, "Umph, I bet that fitness instructor has locs or extension braids and does not know a thing or two about a hair style." Well, they may not. Yet, they can tell you that the more you exercise the more hair you will have. And if looking cute with great hair is what you are after; then the gym (or exercising at home) is the place to make it happen. Not the hair salon. 

Let's get physical!
I actually reward every customer who sits in my chair that chooses fitness/health over their hair! I have come up with the top 3 benefits that exercise does for hair to encourage the skeptics to do so. Drum roll please. Working my way back, the third reason one should choose fitness over a hair style is because there is a strong correlation between physical activity and GROWING hair. Yep, ya know it! Exercising gets the blood flowing something fierce. When blood flows hair grows. The best way to nourish your hair is from within. It's free and you do not have to sit under the dryer for a treatment. The second benefit of choosing fitness over a hairstyle is your beautiful glowing skin. Remember when the blood flows, hair grows and skin glows! (hey I'm on a roll here!)  Yes, exercising definitely promotes healthy glowing, acne free and blemish free skin as well.  Just look around; thick hair, blemish free and glowing skin goes hand in hand. Can you say, "Philly Weeden, Jane Fonda or Miesha Wilson!" They look good, don't they? I mean don't just look at their bodies; look at their hair and skin. Lastly, the number one reason to choose fitness over a hair style is because it saves you money! When you exercise you will not waste money on frivolous purchases at the grocery store, clothing store or hair salon. Well, you might buy more gear, but you catch my drift!

Okay now, real talk; if you are wearing any form of braided styles or a pixie cut, you will have to get those hair styling services more frequently. Compared to when you were more sedentary your hair growth was doing the bare minimum. Now that you are exercising you are getting the maximum and again, that blood flow promotes hair growth. So you are not tripping if you find yourself paying more frequently for those braided styles and pixie cuts. But at least you will have hair.

Yes you can!
In the end, I understand that looking cute and presentable in the public eye is very important to us image conscious folk; but I can tell you from personal experience, exercising as needed rules over a hair style any day! I can not think of any better advice to give to any person wanting to look good from the outside in or the inside out than telling them the honest truth of choosing health over hair. When you feel good, you will look good no matter how much hair you have, do not have and rather it is real or fake. 

I look the part of what I promote as a professional cosmetologist. I have a good hair day every day. One would be hard pressed to catch my hair looking cray, unless your name is Hattie Mae a.k.a LaKeisha (my colorist) or Malika (my back up colorist)! Like many, I too had to address my physical and mental health. I chose exercising. I do it at least 5 times a week for 45 minutes a day. I try it all. Some exercising makes me sweat more than others. And whenever I am asked, "What do you to your hair when you exercise and it messes up?" I realistically respond, "I do it over." My school of thought is, it's all about sanity; not about vanity. 

It's just hair people. Get up, get out, get to moving. Eat a balanced diet. Drink plenty of water. Be sure to boo boo; oh and think really good thoughts! The same effort you put into your hair, clothes, nails, shoes, make up, going out to dinner, going to social gatherings and all that goes with it; put it into your physical and mental health. In the words of my boy George Clinton of the Parliament/Funkadelic, "Free your mind and your ass will follow!" 

Let's get physical!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I never knew this before but it makes sense. I am pretty activie and am always playing sports. My hair is really thick and grows super fast! I also make sure to take care of my hair though so I don't know how much I can owe to exercise.

    Alena | http://www.disconnectedsalon.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!!
    I have read your post. it is very useful Informative and Knowledge fully Post.
    Salon Hairstyle Gallery

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hi ,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    If someone want to read more about that Hair Styling Chairs
    I think this is the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete